Monday, March 27, 2006

Searching for Clayelle

Last fall I wrote a little post concerning Clayelle Dalferes, one of the weekend announcers at WQXR, New York's classical radio station. I e-mailed it to her, and she sent a very nice reply, which I posted as a comment. Almost every week since then one or two people find this blog doing a web search for her. On Saturday one of them added the comment, "Clayelle Dalferes could hold my attention just reading the phone book." Just now someone did a search for "Clayelle Dalferes beautiful voice."

Yes. Her voice is beautiful. It is sultry. It is, I'm going to say it, sexy. Not what one would expect on a classical music station. I'm not at all surprised at the number of web searches for her.

Over the months a number of the searches have been for "Clayelle Dalferes photo." Well there aren't any on the web, other than the baby picture she put on her profile on the WQXR site. She remains the mystery woman, at least visually.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, i must agree, but them i am related to her.

Anonymous said...

I've listened to Clayelle since she announced on the now long gone WNCN. She is a great example of the magic of radio. A kind, friendly voice in the middle of the night who seems like a friend. She appears occasionally around NYC doing concerts and things, but I don't want to see what she looks like. My mind decided that a long time ago. btw I was led here by a web search also.

Anonymous said...

I've also listened to her for years, and have formed a mental image of her. I know if I heard her voice in a crowd, I'd be able to pick her out.

Anonymous said...

I'm listening to her right now and I'm reminded of the great women of the theater and the silver screen. Anne Baxter, Joan Fontaine, Gene Tierney, Grace Kelly and others all had a similar accent and delivery style. It makes you think of ball gowns and chandeliers and beautiful women with high cheekbones. Nobody sounds like that anymore. It was called a continental accent, I think, and it's pretty much a thing of the past. I miss it, and I love it when I hear Clayelle!

Anonymous said...

I was the person who typed in Clayelle Dalferes' beautiful voice, because she has one of the most distinctive and captivating voices that I have ever heard.

Her voice is elegant. And I am pleased that so many others recognize Clayelle for the uniquely talented lady that she is.

Unknown said...

Actually, there's a recent photo of her here: http://bit.ly/nTI4OP

JS said...

goastli 21Those of us who became enchanted by Clayelle's voice when she was on WNCN, are so happy that she's still around, albeit not as frequently as some of us would like.
The only other time I clearly recall being mesmerised by a radio voice was in the heyday of radio drama in the 1940's. There was a radio actress with such a distinct voice that we could always identify her. And she was everywhere, performing in radio dramas. Her name was Mercedes McCambridge. Then, in 1949, she made an appearance in an independent film--unusual in the days of Big Studio dominated Hollywood. The film was a sensation and won praises for the cast:All The King's Men,starred Broderick Crawford, John Ireland, Joann Dru and Mercedes McCambridge. She won an Oscar for her role.

FergusMcDopey said...

For no reason in particular, I picture her looking like the delightful star of stage and television, Miss Arlene Francis.

Unknown said...

Here is her photo:

https://books.google.com/books?id=NUUEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA6&lpg=PA6&dq=clayelle+dalferes&source=bl&ots=hB_eufSLCo&sig=sxwmBf1FDy_kb7YMxKNj8x18RIM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCYQ6AEwAjg8ahUKEwiVvPiEuufGAhVJHD4KHWP3AKI#v=onepage&q=clayelle%20dalferes&f=false

Unknown said...

Yep, there she is in Billboard quite a few years ago.